Adsense

July 11, 2008

CraftyYarn

Friday's are friendly at Yarn Obsession that's why I've chosen to profile or showcase various artists and/or Etsy shop owners on Fridays!

CraftyYarn is our first spotlight! It was the first shop I marked as a favorite on Etsy and is one I plan on making a staple once I go through my stash and again begin purchasing yarn.

Here is my interview with Molly, the owner of CraftyYarn:

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Molly Bachelor and I live in Encinitas, California, although I'm originally from Michigan and miss the wool-friendly weather there sometimes.

What inspires you to do what you do?
I'm pretty much obsessed with reuse. I usually prefer things with a history - old houses, old clothes - to brand new things, although I definitely appreciate new technology. I'm always thinking about how to incorporate the used and discarded into the new, preferably in a systemic rather than one-off way. So I love creating yarn from scrap, whether it be odd bits of fiber that the commercial mills can't spin, or one of millions of discarded sweaters (used clothing is one of the United States' top exports!).

How do you see yourself evolving in the next 5-10 years?
I hope to expand the variety of reclaimed fibers that I work with - there are so many possibilities out there and it's just a matter of getting around to exploring them all. I'm also eventually planning to become a more diverse fiber supplier, offering materials for spinners and felters as well as for knitters and crocheters. While it's always nice to grow, I don't plan to try to make Etsy a full-time vocation, since part of what I love is the balance that it gives to the rest of my life.

What are some of your favorite things?
I love bright colors, strong flavors and anything soft and fuzzy. I'm also currently very into interwar English novels. Oh, and of course my cats (I have two).

What is your favorite quote?
Here's one I like: "The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

Please visit Molly when you get a chance. If you knit, crochet or use fiber in any way, I'm sure you'll find something useful in her shop.

No comments:

Sponsors