Adsense

January 7, 2009

The Waldorf Schools

My husband and I are very interested in the education our son receives. We see him learning at a rapid pace and want to make sure we keep him interested in learning as he begins matriculation into school. We were lucky to find a daycare provider interested in helping kids learn as much as they can as early as they can, because it's helped our son grow by leaps and bounds. Because of this learning, we've talked and contemplated what we'd do when he did begin school in a few years.

Now let's turn the clock back to the year before I was actually pregnant and only preparing to try to have a baby. I heard of a schooling system where yarn arts, such as knitting and crochet were actually part of the curriculum and I had to know more. I did some research and found the Waldorf School in Pasadena (where we were living at the time). I don't have to tell you I was blown away!

It is my contention that when children are allowed to excel at the arts, they excel at the fundamentals of learning such as reading, writing and arithmetic. But the Waldorf system goes further. They incorporate such a well-rounded curriculum that students have an opportunity to truly learn about the world around them through various mediums. Being an avid knitter and crocheter, I was most impressed that I could send my son and/or daughter to a school that would teach them these arts as part of the curriculum. How cool is that?

This is Rudolf Steiner, the founder of the Waldorf School of teaching. I could sing the praises of the schools and the philosophy from now till tomorrow, however, to spare you the verbiage, I'll just send you to Waldorf Answers on Waldorf where you can gain a better understanding of the whole system.

At this point in time, the Waldorf schools seem like a distant dream, but I'm sure that whether or not our son does go to one of these schools here in MA, I will teach him to knit or crochet along with his sporting and music activities. Like me, he'll need them to keep him grounded and to help him listen to his thoughts.

No comments:

Sponsors