Adsense

October 10, 2008

A Little Luster

In my ongoing effort to promote other artisans on Etsy, I thought I'd share with you A Little Luster. The name says it all. If you're looking for lovely jewelry that's uniquely understated, but will still make a splash, look no further. Mimi has created lovely items that are perfect for the gift giving season!

Read her interview here then take a trip to her shop. I'm sure she'd be happy to welcome you there.

Tell us a little bit about yourself
My name is Mimi and I currently live, in what I think is one of the world’s most exotic cities, Istanbul, in a cozy apartment, blessed with a view overlooking the gorgeous sea where the sun sets and another towards quaint cottages on a small sloping hill amidst pine and maple trees. I started making beaded jewelry about six years ago then slowly found my way into metalsmithing last year and am loving it!

What inspires you to do your craft/artistry?
So many things inspire me it’s hard to know where to begin! Everything ultimately stems from this need to create something, anything, with my hands. I get a lot of inspiration from architecture, photography, memories of my grandmother’s jewelry box, past travels and I also love ethnic and traditional arts and crafts from different cultures. There are so many talented artists out there whose work are just awe inspiring and that makes me want to strive harder and learn more to be better at what I do. Then there is of course nature all around that never ceases to inspire anytime you stop a minute to look and see.

How do you promote your items?
I don’t have much time to promote but I try to relist and participate in Etsy forums as much as I can. I really need to do more though!

What is one piece of advice you'd give to new artists?
Have faith in yourself and your work and don’t give up!

How do you see yourself evolving in the next 5-10 years?
I hope by then that I would have had the good chance to progress further into metalsmithing, learned more techniques and developed better skills to be able to create finer and more sophisticated pieces. Working out of my own studio with a small terrace or patio would be lovely too!

What are some of your favorite things?
I cannot live without spicy food and definitely not without my espresso maker! I love blues, greens, black and grey although lately I find myself being more drawn to yellows and oranges. I love spring, it’s my favorite time of year. I tried growing lavender this year on my balcony and loved it! I love a wide range of music, from Cyndi Lauper to the Cure to Andre Bocelli. Some of my current faves are Jason Mraz, Paolo Nuttini, KT Tunstall and Joshua Radin. Oh! I love photography and spending the day out with my camera although i's been a while since I've done that, but I must ~soon!

What is your favorite quote?
“Let what you love be what you do.” by Rumi and “Nothing is worth more than this day.” by Goethe. That’s two, I couldn’t narrow it down to just one!

You can find Mimi online:
Jewelry Shop
Supplies Shop


No comments:

Sponsors