Adsense

September 5, 2008

Crochet Girl

In my continuing effort to introduce you to a crafter or Etsy Shop owner you haven't met yet, I came across Crochet Girl. Some of you may be thinking "why someone else who does crochet"? The answer is "becasue she does it so well and does things I don't do." I love the colors she uses and I love that she makes earrings! Besides that, I love that she's using yarn from other Etsy sellers in her items. . . once I'm done with my stash, that will be my desire too!

Anyway, Crochet Girl should be a stop on your shopping surf. . .
Tell us a little about yourself
My name is Lindsay and I live in Chicago with my husband Brian. We live in a quaint little apartment with lots of yarn on the north side of the city. I grew up in Joplin Missouri and moved to Chicago to go to the Theatre School at Depaul University a little over 10 years ago. I loved it here so I stayed. Chicago is the best city in the world.

What inspires you to do your craft?
I've always been a crafty gal. My grandma is a seamstress and worked from home so there were always people coming over for a fitting and fabric on the kitchen table being cut. My grandpa was a carpenter so when I was tired of playing with fabric I could go out to the garage and build stuff. They were probably the biggest influences in my life so it's no wonder I continue to make things as I get older. When I was around 10 or 11 years old I was going through a "junk" drawer at my grandma's house one day and discovered some crochet hooks so I pulled them out and just figured it out by reading an old pattern book that belonged to my great-grandmother. By the time my mom got home from work I had made something that resembled a doily. I cannot imagine what people do who don't have a craft or an art. The first thing I think about when looking for new apartments is where all of my art supplies/yarn are going to go!

How do you see yourself evolving in the next 5-10 years?
I would like to work totally with hand spun and natural yarns. The cost factor is very prohibiting now. I want everyone to be able to afford a spiffy hat and if I used all handspun yarn the price would be too high. Ideally, I would love to move out of the city, buy some land and a couple of sheep and make my own yarns. But getting my husband on board is another story.

What are some of your favorite things?
color: blue
food: cheese and crackers and fried okra (not necessarily at the same time)
activity: drinking coffee from a real mug, slowly instead of in a travel mug on a bus and doing the Sunday crossword
books: anything by Fannie Flagg - they make me think of home

What is your favorite quote?
I can't remember it exactly but it's something like this:
"If you love the work you do it's no longer work but pleasure." People "work" too much nowadays and don't take time to really enjoy living.

You can find Lindsay at the following places:
Her shop
Her other shop
Her flickr
Her Blog
Her Website

No comments:

Sponsors