Adsense

November 14, 2008

Yarn Obsession

For a few months now I've been introducing you to some fantastic shops every Friday. Through those profiles you've been able to learn a little about the artists/crafters and their products. However, I was thinking, I've never had the opportunity to "formally" introduce you to my shop, Yarn Obesssion, so please induldge me while I take my own interview questions and give you an opportunity to get to know me better.

Tell us a little about yourself

My name is Sedruola Maruska, but most people call me Sedie, I live in Massachusetts with my husband and son. Although we currently live with my parents, we're working hard to put everything into place for a house next year. By day I dress up as an Executive Assistant, but by night I'm a yarn obsessed maniac working hard not to drive her husband and son crazy.

What inspires you to your craft/artistry?

The main inspiration I have to design and create my items is the love of the yarn. I can never get enough of the feel of the yarn as well as seeing each piece come to life with each stitch. The other thing that keeps me creative is knowing that one day I'll reach the goal of having my own shop, with my designs for sale and be free to spend more time with my son. There is nothing more inspiring than doing the best you can for your family through doing the best you can for your customers!

How do you promote your items?

I'm still new to the "promotion" arena, but I have this blog, and as much as is not too 'boring' or 'overwhelming' I use it to promote my items. I also use facebook as a place to inform people I know, and some I don't, of my latest designs or items available in my Etsy shop. I'm also on Twitter, where I 'tweet' about sales, new items or promotions as well as other things. I'm also on several social networking sites that I'm hoping to have work better for me as I learn more. Finaly, I tell most people I meet about what I do, although I could be better at that.

What is one piece of advice you'd give to new artists?
I'd tell them to learn as much as they can and implement those things that speak to their personality and craft. Not everything will work for everyone, but if you're true to yourself and your craft, you'll do well every time!


How do you see yourself evolving in the next 5-10 years?
I'm always evolving, but in the next 5-10 years, I will have my own boutique/yarn shop, which will allow me to be more of a master of my destiny. We'd love to have one more child and we'll be living the house of our dreams. My future is tied up in my family and my yarn, I couldn't be happier.

What are some of your favorite things?
I love spending time with friends and family, decorating, planning events, anything made with potatoes, yarnf and music.

What is your favorite quote?
"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

1 comment:

Sam said...

Being on this site and reading about yarn is like being taken "back through the ages". I'm a textile Designer but sinc the Textile industry in my Country crumbled, I shifted base to being an Interned Marketer,
Great stuff you have there and well presented.
Big UP to you

Sponsors